The sweet taste of plum tomatoes compliments the sharp taste of the white Cheddar cheese. The raw sugar and cayenne pepper add contrasting hints of flavor.
Recipe makes 6 to 8 servings.
- 1 pound elbow macaroni
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 cups milk
- 1 cup light cream
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup canned plum tomatoes
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon raw sugar
- 4 cups sharp white Cheddar cheese
- Sea salt to taste
- White pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cook pasta according to package directions
- Combine milk and cream in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer over moderate heat. While the milk and cream heats, melt the butter in another saucepan over low to medium heat until foaming.
- Add the flour to the butter and cook, stirring for 3 minutes.
- Pour the hot milk into the butter/flour mixture and cook, stirring with a wire whisk or wooden spoon for a few minutes, until thickened.
- Add the cheese to the white sauce, about 1/4 cup at a time. Stirring until the cheese has melted and the sauce is smooth. Add the cayenne pepper, salt and white pepper to taste.
- Stir the tomatoes and the sugar into the cheese sauce.
- Combine the macaroni and cheese sauce and pour into a buttered casserole dish, Bake for 25 to 30 minutes until mixture is bubbly. Wait 5 minutes before serving.