Crumbled blue cheese and fresh chives give this dish a robust and flavorful contrast to the standard baked macaroni and cheese recipe.
Recipe makes 6 to 8 servings.
- 1 pound large elbow macaroni
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 3 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese (Gorgonzola, French, Maytag or Danish)
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh chives
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Butter 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish.
- Cook pasta in large pot of boiling salted water until al dente, drain.
- Meanwhile, melt butter over medium-low heat, add flour, cook 1 minute, to make roux (do not brown).
- Gradually whisk in milk and cream, simmer until mixture thickens slightly, whisking occasionally. Reduce heat to low, add grated cheddar cheese and 1 cup crumbled blue cheese, whisk thoroughly until cheeses are melted.
- Add cooked pasta to sauce, stir to coat, transfer mixture to prepared baking dish, sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup blue cheese and bake until sauce begins to bubble, about 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle with finely chopped fresh chives and serve.