Try this macaroni and cheese recipe using only basic ingredients for a foolproof dish.
Recipe makes 6 to 8 servings.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 12 ounces extra-sharp cheddar cheese, coarsely grated
- 12 ounces American cheese or cheddar cheese, coarsely grated
- 1 pound elbow pasta, boiled in salted water until just tender, drained, and rinsed under cold water
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper (optional)
- 2/3 cup whole milk.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees. Use one tablespoon butter to thickly grease a 9-by- 13-inch baking dish. Combine grated cheeses and set aside two heaping cups for topping.
- In a large bowl, toss together the pasta, cheeses, ground pepper (if using) and salt to taste.
- Place in prepared pan and evenly pour milk over surface. Sprinkle reserved cheese on the top layer of cheeses with remaining butter and bake, uncovered, 45 minutes.
- Raise heat to 400 degrees and bake 15 to 20 minutes more, until crusty on top and bottom.