This macaroni and cheese dish combines 4 cheeses for a dish sure to delight the cheese lovers in your family.
Recipe makes 6 servings.
- 7 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups half-and-half
- ¾ teaspoon salt, plus salt for pasta water
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
- ½ teaspoon Red Hot Sauce
- 9 ounces grated Parmigiano-Reggiano or other good-quality Parmesan cheese (about 2 cups)
- 1 pound elbow macaroni
- ¾ teaspoon minced garlic
- 4 ounces grated Cheddar cheese
- 4 ounces grated Fontina cheese
- 4 ounces grated Gruyere cheese
- ½ cup fresh bread crumbs
- ½ teaspoon ground 4 pepper blend
- Melt 4 tablespoons butter over low heat in a heavy medium saucepan. Add the flour and stir to combine. Cook the mixture, stirring constantly, for 3 minutes. Increase the heat to medium and whisk in the half-and-half, a little at a time. Cook until thickened, 4 to 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from the heat, season with the ¾ teaspoon salt, white pepper, hot sauce, and 4 ounces Parmigiano-Reggiano. Stir until the cheese is melted and the sauce is smooth. Cover and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F
- Fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil over high heat. Add salt to taste and, stirring, add the macaroni. Return to a boil, reduce the heat to a low boil, and for about 5 minutes, or until the macaroni is al dente (slightly undercooked). Drain colander and return the macaroni to the pot. Add 2 tablespoons butter and the garlic and stir to combine. Add the reserved sauce and stir until well combined. Set aside.
- Grease a 3-quart baking dish or casserole with the remaining tablespoon of butter and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine 4 ounces Parmigiano-Reggiano with the Cheddar, Fontina, and Gruyere cheeses. Toss to combine. Place one-third of the macaroni in the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Top with one-third of the mixed cheeses. Top with another third of the macaroni and another third of the cheese mixture. Repeat with the remaining macaroni and cheese mixture. In a small bowl combine the bread crumbs, remaining 1 ounce Parmigiano-Reggiano, and the 4 pepper blend and toss to combine. . Sprinkle this over the top of the macaroni and cheese. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until the macaroni and cheese is bubbly and hot and the top is golden brown. Remove from die oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes before serving.