You will get a taste of Cajun Louisiana cooking with this homemade macaroni and cheese recipe that uses spicy Andouille sausage and Cajun seasoning.
Recipe makes 6 To 8 servings.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup onions, finely diced
- 1/2 cup peppers, finely diced (preferably a mixture of yellow, green and red)
- 8 ounces Andouille sausage, cut into 1/4-inch half moons
- 4 cups (1 quart) heavy cream, reduced to 3 3/4 cups*
- 2 cups (1/2 pound) sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon Penzey’s Cajun seasoning
- 1 pound spiral or other pasta, cooked in salted water according to package directions and drained
- 1/2 cup green onions, including green part, sliced thin for garnish
- To reduce cream: Place in a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan and bring to a low boil. Boil cream about 10 minutes and skim top before adding to recipe. Watch carefully as cream may boil up suddenly.
- In a large sauté pan over medium heat, add butter onions and peppers and sauté until vegetables begin to soften.
- Add Andouille sausage and continue to cook over high heat until the vegetables begin to turn golden and the sausage begins to color.
- Lower heat and continue to sauté until the vegetables are very soft, about 4 minutes.
Add reduced heavy cream and bring to a boil over high heat. Lower heat to medium-high and continue to simmer, about 5 minutes.
- Add cheese and stir well with a wooden spoon until the cheese is well melted. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Add the Cajun seasoning.
- Continue to simmer another 4 to 5 minutes over low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Toss in cooked, drained pasta and mix well. To serve, garnish with finely sliced green onions.