This macaroni and cheese recipe is perfect for the sea food lovers in your family. Rich in flavor with heavy cream, Cheddar and Gruyere cheeses, shallots and roasted red peppers, use this as a main course when you want to impress your guests.
Recipe makes 6 to 8 servings.
- 2 cups Cheddar, grated
- 2 cups Gruyere cheese, grated
- 1 cup cream cheese
- 4 cups heavy cream
- 1 pound dry macaroni
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 shallots, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups lobster meat, chopped
- Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup roasted red peppers, julienne
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- Parmesan cheese, to taste
- ¼ cup bread crumbs
- 4 tablespoons fresh cilantro, finely chopped for garnish
- In the top half of a double boiler, combine Cheddar, Gruyere and cream cheese and melt, over boiling water until mixture becomes creamy. Slowly add cream, stirring until smooth.
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook macaroni following the recommended cooking time on the pasta.
- In a large sauté pan, heat olive oil. Add shallots and garlic, cooking until golden. Add lobster and cook until opaque. Add salt and pepper and season to taste.
- Drain pasta and add to the lobster mixture. Add cheese sauce, red peppers and cilantro and mix well.
- Pour into large casserole dish. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and breadcrumbs.
- Bake in preheated oven at 350 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes or until breadcrumbs are golden brown and cheese bubbles. Remove from oven. Sprinkle on cilantro and serve.
You may substitute shrimp or crab meat for lobster.
Drizzle some spicy basil oil on macaroni and cheese as it comes out of oven.