This stove top macaroni and cheese recipe adds both fresh and frozen vegetables as a healthy addition. Using less cheese then many macaroni and cheese recipes, this stove top recipe is a good choice for the health conscious cook.
Recipe makes 6 servings.
- 2 cup macaroni uncooked
- 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella or cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoon freshly-grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 green onions, chopped
- Salt and coarse ground black pepper
- In large pot of boiling water, cook pasta until tender but firm.
- While pasta is cooking, boil carrots for 4 minutes in lightly salted water. Add peas and cook until carrots are tender-crisp, about 3 to 4 minutes longer. Drain and return to pot.
- In small saucepan, heat milk over medium heat, until steaming. Whisk in cream cheese until smooth. Stir in basil.
- Add to pasta along with vegetables, mozzarella or cheddar cheese and green onions. Toss to mix and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Top with the freshly grated parmesan cheese when you serve.