A classic creamy macaroni and cheese recipe that’s made with American and Cheddar cheeses.
Recipe makes 6 servings.
- 16 ounces dried uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1/2 cup Butter
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon dried mustard
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 4 cups milk
- 1 pound (4 cups) slice Deli American Cheese, cubed
- 8 ounces (2 cup) Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- Heat oven to 350°F. Cook macaroni according to package directions. Drain.
- Melt butter in 3-quart saucepan until sizzling; stir in flour and seasonings. Add milk; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture boils and thickens (5 to 7 minutes).
- Reduce heat to low; stir in American cheese. Cook until cheese is melted (3 to 5 minutes). Add cooked macaroni; mix well.
- Spoon into ungreased 2-quart casserole.
- Top with a generous layer of shredded Cheddar cheese
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until heated through and Cheddar cheese topping is melted and bubbling with flavor.
Add 1 cup chopped cooked ham and 1/2 cup chopped red or green bell pepper, or 1/2 cup crispy bacon bits and 1 cup drained mushroom pieces to make this “special”.